Re: [orca-list] Trouble setting up speech-dispatcher with orca

Hello Halim,
That's useful information to know. Its one of the things which made me very annoyed about pulseaudio, it wanting to take over the ALSA device and all suggestions for allowing ALSA apps to work with it to need to go through pulseaudio's ALSA compatibility layer which required pulseaudio to run.

Also I agree with you on not wanting extra complexity for a console screen reader, the one big reason for a console screen reader is to have a system with minimal requirements to work which you can rely on. Adding complexity removes that advantage.

Luckily at the moment debian doesn't force pulse on you, but seeing how other distros have gone the time might come (I strongly hope it doesn't).

Michael Whapples