Re: [orca-list] On the Profiles UI confusion

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 01:31:45PM -0500, Joanmarie Diggs wrote:
Snip snip.

So here's what I'm wondering:

1. Do we really need (want) a Load button, or should the Apply/OK button
   include applying the currently-selected Active Profile?

I think the load button is appropriate.  I didn't find that to be
confusing at all.  Just be sure that when the profile is loaded the
effect takes place immediately and then one could merely escape or
cancel out of the preference dialog.  Maybe the response message
saying that the profile was loaded could say something further like
"Orca doesn't require reloading" or something similar; dunno.

2. If we do need (want) a Load button, should the Active Profile combo
   box automatically change to contain the newly-saved profile?

I'm not quite sure how to proceed with this one.  I need to play with
this a bit more first.  One thing though, when you make changes to the
environment and save them as a profile, maybe the saved announcement
might say something to the effect that the profile was saved but you
need to use Apply / OK to keep the settings upon closure of the
dialog.

I realize these extra announcements might cause further qconfusion but
short of good thurough documentation, not sure how else to keep it
clear when settings will actually take effect and when they could be
lost if not applied formally.