Re: [orca-list] [VINUX] Voxin and Question Marks

Hi
yes. first reinstall voxin. it'll ask you if you want to use it with speech dispatcher. say yes. say no to
the gnome driver. if you are like me and updated it may throw some errors about speechd .speech-dispatcher
not being found just ignore it.
now type or copy and paste these commands.
cd ~
remember hit enter to run the commands.
so:
type
cd ~
cd .speech-dispatcher
then type I think its
cd speechd
you can find out with
ls -a

now it should say something like:
vinux at slash .speech-dispatcher/speechd
or is it conf? ok anyway you're in the new directory or folder now type:
sudo gedit ./speechd.conf
hit enter.
you will see a line that says
# addModule ibmtts
delete the number sign save the file with control s and exit with control q or alt f4.
Now to be sure it will work we have to edit the global speechd.conf file. I think that is in
/etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf
just use the ls command or the file browser while keeping your terminal window open you'll find it. so find a
similar line in that file, delete the # number sign or pound sign save with control s then quit gedit with
control q.
Now reboot. or at least that's what I did. Now if you want it to read with all punctuation the best thing I
found is to install and use the emacsspeaks speech server component. But if you do not want to hear
punctuation just switch to speech dispatcher and choose ibm-tts as the synthesizer and it will not read those
question marks.
I did find however that when arrowing around voxin does not say the space character when spaces are
encountered but espeak tells you when there is a space. I hope they fix this soon.

Josh Kennedy
jkenn337 gmail com