[orca-list] Really! Strange behavior with Orca and Speech-Dispatcher

I posted this question a while back but didn't get even one single response, so I figured I'd ask again. I was having a really really strange issue with Orca, Speech-dispatcher, and Voxin. I know, I know, Voxin is gross to a lot of people, but hear me out. I wonder if you all can help me brainstorm, and figure out why this broke, as well as why! what I did fixed it. This has gotta be one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen!

Basically, I downloaded Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid. Maybe I got it from the wrong source, but I got it from ubuntu.com under the downloads section. I just grabbed the standard 32 bit i386 iso. burned the iso, and booted to the disc. Well, it came up, and the installer automatically launched, but there is no language menu, nor is there a place to fit f5 for accessibility, followed by option 3 for screen reader, like in previous builds. I know it's not me just not seeing it and it going by before I know it, as I had a sighted person look about 3 times, and not even once did they see anything of the sort. So, I guess my first question is, once that installer comes up, what's the procedure with Lucid to get Orca talking on the live CD, so I can install the distro correctly. Because of this, my delimma was created. So, with no further do: here we go!

I hopped up on

http://vinux.org.uk

All that I was able to find was the Libra I think is how you say it, version of Vinux 3.0. I installed this from the CD iso. I didn't use the dvd iso, as I don't have any blank DVD's. I need actually to get some. At any rate, so, escentially, I get Vinux installed, great. all works fine. I install voxin. Great! that works fine, too. NOw, here is where the gotcha! comes into play. I editted both the ~/.speech-dispatcher/conf/speechd.conf as well as the /etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf files.

I uncommented the line for AddModule ibmtts, or something of that effect. The line's quite obvious when I see it.

I also changed the default module from espeak over to ibmtts

I then restarted speech-dispatcher with:

sudo /etc/init.d/speech-dispatcher restart

That worked perfectly.

At this point though, I still had ESpeak talking, not Voxin. That's understandable though, as I'd not restarted Orca. So, I orca+q, confirm, then went to run, and typed orca, and hit enter. Boom! NOrmally! Voxin would come right up talking no questions asked. Well, here is the weird thing. ESpeak still! came up! Orca+Space, speech page, reveals absolutely no speech synth for IBMTTS. Default is still giving me Espeak. I have this exact? same issue with the Wubi installation build of Lucid.

Now, here's where things get totally! cluster effed, excuse the language. Watch, this! Now listen to what I did, then, you? tell me! if this is not totally! Cock-eyed! I go to a terminal. Not a t t y terminal, just the graffical gnome-terminal. I then did:

speech-dispatcher --version

I'm on the latest build, rc2, just like normal. Just like I should be. Now granted, orca! wasn't totally yet upj-to-date with the latest from git clone, but I'm getting ahead a myself here. Once I saw that was up to date, I'm gowen: Well? Hmm! I wonder then if orca is out of date, which it probably is. so, in that same window, I did:

orca -v

Now, watch this! I get an error, don't remember it, but something about me not having permissions to access the command. However then! as soon as I did that, orca -v, and hit enter. My Voxin starts working! now how? blessid screwed up? is, ðð'ððat! I was like: Ow'w? Kayyy!... ehh, like, um? Wut? Rauight! What? ever! So, does anyone! have the slightest idea? what! in the, hell! caused it to start working just! by issuing a version? command? I tell you guies: I've seen some weird things in Linux before, but this! tops 'em all! I rebooted. Guess what. I still? get Voxin! It now even is showing up in my speech page, unlike before. To get rid of that permission denied thing, I just ran an Orca update and rebuilt it from git, and that solved that problem perfectly. ONe thing worth noting is, when Vixin didn't work in Wubi, or in Vinux 3.0 Libra, I did! add the Vinux repository... well, with wubi I did. With Libra, it was already there so though I tried, nothing really happened.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa://vinux/vinux-lucid

sudo apt-get update

Then I installed the scripts:

sudo apt-get install vinuxscripts

Finally, I converted my system. I even did this with Libra, which even though I already was really on! Vinux, it still! did work.

buildvinux

Once this was done, that's! when, without first restarting the computer, that I checked the version of both sd, as well as Orca, at which point on the orca -v I got the permission denied however that woke up Voxin somehow.

I guess my ultimate question in all this is, why if I use Wubi, then get the vinux scripts, and convert my wubi over to Vinux, does Voxin then work right straight no problem. Yet, in Wubi just by itself, or in Voxin Libra, does it not work at all unless you do this really twisted hack a mine, even then, I don't know if I had to reinstall things if I could replicate this again and get it working again. That may a just been pure luck. I know Libra was kind a stripped down, and doesn't have any of the closed propriatary packages in it, that the older build of 3.0 Vinux had that was non-Libra based. Unfortunately, I cannot find that iso any more and I gave my disc to a friend and never have gotten it back sinse. I thinky lostit, knowing him. Anyway, with the Vinux non-libra 3.0 build, again not the dvd, just the plain cd-r image, Voxin again! worked flawlessly right out of the box. This almost makes me thus wonder if there is something in those Vinux scripts that gets installed or upgraded/downgraded, that is making voxin work after being applied. I'm totally! perplexed! I'd! L'l'l'luvv! to hear what you all have to say about this one!

Chris.