[orca-list] apps refusing to launch

has anyone had this problem where apps won't launch in lucid?
for example running transmission and another program.
i seem to be having this problem despite trying fresh installs.
what happens is when i have transmision open i can launch another app such as firefox or evolution at the beginning of using say transmision but then leave my system for a while and try to relaunch say firefox and orca says "application" or "applications" like it is trying to launch the second app and it doesn't open or it won't speak so when i press alt fbled, i go back to transmision. the only thing i can think of as regards why i am having this problem is that the torrent i am downloading from has more files than the amount of memory i have for example my torrent has 70 odd files so i am wondering if this is the problem with it downloading the files at the same time? however i am not getting any message in orca saying that i am out of memory and i am sure that i have downloaded movies before on previous versions of ubuntu and had say firefox running at the same time and had no problem running a second app like firefox as well as running transmision.