[orca-list] OT: grub2 and Archlinux

Hello,

I can't verify the accuracy of the coding used. If you boot and get nothing (no speach) you might have the Grub command line.
 Grub followed by a flashing Underscore.

I haven't found the time to explore this. Perhaps it is as
simple as typing a configuration file in order to bring up a menu.

If you are not on the Vinux list here are the notes I just posted.

Hello List, Notes on duel boot: Windows&Vinux, boot.ini&Grub, 2 drives (ATA&SATA)

Some of you have asked about duel boot and my system setup is different. Here is what I have learned during my first six months trying to learn Linux & Vinux.

My desktop system had Windows XP and one drive on an IDE (ATA) cable/connector.

To install Linux and keep Windows, it was recommended that a second drive (dedicated for Linux) would be safer. I got the second drive which turned out to have a SATA cable/connector.

I believe that the SATA is the newer technology and that would explain why my BIOS looked first to a SATA before ATA for the operating system.

First I installed Vinux 2.1 CLI (Debian) to partition 1 and the Grub 1 gave me access to it and Windows.

Then Vinux 1.5 (Ubuntu) was installed to partition 2 and the Grub menu listed all three Operating systems but gave access only to the Vinux 1.5.

My Windows MBR was destroyed and it had to be restored.

Now, whenever installing another version of Vinux, I disconnect the Windows drive.

The newer versions of Vinux 3.0 are being installed into partition 2 and the Grub 2 menu does not show Windows because that drive is disconnected.

Since Windows is my workhorse, I had the BIOS changed to look first to the ATA (Windows) drive.

I added the entry to the Windows ?boot.ini? file to point to the Vinux 2.1 CLI.

Currently my only way to access Vinux 3 is through the boot device list. On my system the F8 is held down for about 15 seconds. Then arrow down to highlight the Vinux drive and press ENTER. Grub 2 comes up with Vinux 3 as the default.

Many of you have only one hard drive. This makes it important to learn how to backup the MBR of your Windows system. Learn to use the Linux ?dd? command. Learn to copy the first 446 bytes of the drive as a backup to restore if necessary.

I hope some of this will help some of you.

Peter

----- Original Message ----- From: "Christian" <christian08 runbox com>