Re: [orca-list] Openoffice.org-writer inaccessible

On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 09:16:23AM EST, Steve Holmes wrote:

That sounds like a really old version of Open Office.  I forget what
the meaning of the 1: is in front of the remainder of the version
number but 2.1.4 sounds quite old.  My ArchLinux distribution is
currently running on Oo 3.2 and I find most common parts of Writer and
Calc to be quite accessible.  I haven't tried Base or Impress yet.

The 1: at the beginning of the version number is what is known as an epoch. This is used in Debian/Ubuntu
packages when the previous version number used is greater than the new version number that the packager wants
to use. Epochs are generally used sparingly, and one has to use them with care, but they do help if a project
changes its version scheme and breaks versioning.

Luke