Re: [orca-list] Orca, problem with check lists?

Hi Isaac.

On Mon, 2010-04-05 at 02:44 +0100, Isaac Porat wrote:
Hello Joanie and all

Given the "and all" part of your greeting, I'm assuming that you
intended to CC the Orca list in on your message. (It was sent only to
me). Therefore, I've done so in my response. I hope that's ok.

The following is important for updating / installing uninstalling apps
in Lucid using the gui.

Lucid includes a tool called Update Manager to update the system.
To reproduce the problem do the following:

sudo update-manager

Press spacebar on the Check button.
Wait until the tool update itself with the information.
The list of available applications to upgrade are presented in a check list.
Pressing spacebar on any of the items to check / uncheck it does nothing.

That's no good. :-( Any chance of getting a full debug.out as described
on the Orca wiki: http://live.gnome.org/Orca/Debugging?

From there, we can take a look at the events and what Orca is doing. The
most likely possibilities, given your description, are:

1. We're not getting the expected event to let us know the state of the
checkbox has changed.

2. We got the right event, but for some reason are not doing anything in
response.

3. We got the right event, and actually did announce the state change,
but just as we started to do so, some other event came in which caused
us to interrupt speech. This can happen so fast that you never wind up
hearing the announcement you expect at all.

In Vinux Lucid in absence of an accessible application to install /
uninstall from the gui, the
gnome-app-install from Karmic is used.  In this application a similar
check list is presented with exactly the same problem.

I wonder if this is a general problem of Orca with check lists or a
problem specific to these applications.

I'd bet on the latter. But I won't know until I see some debug output.

While it's an extreme drag that you're experiencing this problem, it
does seem like a very straightforward, practical thing we (as a group,
on the list) can analyze for the purpose of getting the community better
equipped to triage the bugs they come across.

--joanie