Re: [orca-list] Off-Screen-Model Suggestions

Keith Hinton <keithint1234 gmail com> wrote:
I was wondering if there is a chance in the future or if it currently
exists, that Orca could use an Off Screen Model, or at least provide a
hotkey on desktop and laptop layouts that will be able to refresh
Orca's view of what's being displayed on the screen?

If Orca's representation of what is being displayed isn't up to date, then
it's a bug, probably in the application with which Orca is interacting. Please
report it to the Orca Bugzilla.

Regarding the more general question, off-screen models were widely implemented
in the early to mid 1990s by proprietary assistive technologies under several
operating systems. The Mercator project attempted to devise an off-screen
model for the X Window System, but they concluded that this was an infeasible
approach and so developed the concept of an accessibility API, which is what
Orca is based upon.

With an off-screen model, as I understand it, the assistive technology
interrogates the low-level video events in an effort to determine what is
happening in the user interface. The advantage is that no cooperation from
applications and UI libraries is required; the disadvantage is that when the
off-screen model is inaccurate, the user gets incorrect information regarding
the user interface. Off-screen models are also difficult to implement and
complex pieces of software. In fact, I don't know whether it would be possible
to write one in a contemporary X Window System environment. Then there are
performance issues to consider.