Re: [orca-list] Some of my thoughts about what has been difficult for getting into orca development and orca scripting

SÃb, 2010-04-03 Ãs 14:50 -0400, Joanmarie Diggs escreveu:

 The other is having progress
bars giving increasing tones as they get to higher percentages like in
NVDA. Now looking at those, guess the second is easier, partly I have an
idea what would be needed, something to listen for progress bar changed
events (whatever the actual at-spi name is for it) and then depending on
a setting in orca putting out a tone through something like gstreamer (I
have some of the ideas used in gstreamer understood and as its a gnome
framework it seems sensible to use).

As I recall, Rui Batista has done some work in this area. I'm hoping
he'll chime in.

I'm Here I'm here!!
I reported this bug regarding the issue:

And implemented this patch:

I dobt the patch still merges cleanly but I can put this working again.
The problem is that with the corrent audio code (wich uses a systemcall
aproach to call gstreamer) it sounds a bit strange sometimes, with beeps
one over another. Maybe I'll try again wrting some gstreamer stuff and
see if it works... I recall problems with that on solaris and working
fine on Ubuntu... Is solaris still a priority? :)

Rui Batista

 One bit I don't quite know is how
to define a setting for orca and eventually that setting should be shown
in orca preferences. May be nudge me in the right direction here, does
this sound good for starting thoughts, or should I look at even simpler
tasks than the audio for progress bar changes?

In terms of making things bite sized, it might be worth tackling them as
separate problems:

1. Implement sound for progress bars (we won't actually check that in
without a setting, but it doesn't *need* to have a setting for you to
get this feature working.)

2. Add a setting.

The way we do settings within Orca at the moment is less than ideal, and
largely the result of the Orca team's lacking profound insight (and/or
psychic ability) in the early days into what all we'd need to implement
settings-wize to meet user requirements. So it got built up as we went.

A while back, I started looking at moving everything to gconf. But gconf
is being deprecated by the GNOME community. So had we gone that route,
we'd be forced to make (another) switch/move in our settings. Because we
didn't, the broader community simply frowns at us for rolling our own
settings handling. <grin> My intent is to address this after the GNOME
community completes the gconf deprecation.

I will add the writing of documentation related to how to add a new
setting within Orca to my to-do list. In the meantime, here is an
example commit that Attila did to add the option to have Orca speak the
position of an object (e.g. within a list or group):

HTH. Take care.

Orca-list mailing list
Orca-list gnome org
Visit for more information on Orca.
The manual is at
The FAQ is at
Netiquette Guidelines are at
Log bugs and feature requests at
Find out how to help at

Rui Batista
E-mail/googletalk: ruiandrebatista (at) gmail (dot) com
MSN/WLM: ruiandrebatista (at) hotmail (dot) com (no mail)
Skype: ruiandrebatista
Homepage    :