Re: [orca-list] Orca and Fedora 11

Lars Bjørndal writes:
Cearbhall O'Meadhra <omeadhrac ncad ie> writes:

Hello Orca users,

I wonder if anyone can help me with this problem?

I got a shock today when I loaded fedora 11 and found that the PC responds
very sluggishly when Orca is loaded. To check this, I unloaded Orca and my
sighted colleague noted that the response was much livelier. How much, I
cannot say as we did not measure it in any precise way. When I reloaded Orca
the response went back to very sluggish. By this, I mean taking about full
seconds to move the cursor between buttons on the Orca Preference General
page. Likewise, on the Main menu.

I thought it might have to do with Pulse Audio. This may be so, but we found
that Fedora 11 is so engaged with Pulse Audio that the system warned that
about fifteen major systems would be impaired by this action, including the
main menu, the configuration tool and so on.

I am running with Fedora 11 on several machines. In all cases pulseaudio
is disabled. Please note that I do not uninstall pulseaduio, but simply
disable it by commenting line 9 in /etc/asound.conf so that it reads as
follows:

#                       "/etc/alsa/pulse-default.conf"

As an assistive technology user, especially a speech-based screen reader
user, you don't want pulseaudio as things stand today. You don't want it
on the desktop for Orca, and you don't want it in the console for
Speakup.

Janina

Any ideas?

I am running on a brand new PC with no other operating system running on it.

I have the same problem. Switching from espeak to festival seems to
get better responsiveness.

Lars