[orca-list] [Fwd: Announcing Orca v2.28.0]

Hi All:

The Orca v2.28.0 tarballs went out just a few moments ago and will be rolled into the GNOME 2.28.0 release this Wednesday.

I think Orca v2.28.0 is a very good release for Orca and I'm very proud of all the work everyone put into it. Our main efforts were focused on the impact on the end user. This includes new features, bug fixes, and performance work. The draft release notes can be found under the "Orca" section at http://live.gnome.org/TwoPointTwentyseven/ReleaseNotes and the final form should be available at http://library.gnome.org/misc/release-notes/2.28/ very soon.

For GNOME 2.30 (which is likely to be known as GNOME 3.0), I'm going to shift my attention towards the GNOME accessibility infrastructure. The infrastructure has been undergoing a massive overhaul to shed GNOME of its CORBA dependency. This work has been going on for some time, but GNOME 3.0 is the milestone where we'll finally make the shift.

My goal is to make this shift a positive one.

This is a big shift, however, so be forewarned that there will be bumps along the way to GNOME 3.0. If you need stability, stay with the stable releases of GNOME 2.28. If you want to help us meet the goal of ensuring GNOME 3.0 is stable for accessibility, though, feel free to jump in with the early development releases of GNOME 2.29.

Will
--- Begin Message ---
===============
* What is Orca?
===============

Orca is a free, open source, flexible, and extensible screen reader
that provides access to the graphical desktop via user-customizable
combinations of speech, braille, and/or magnification.  Orca
development has been led by the Sun Microsystems, Inc., Accessibility
Program Office via continued engagement with its end users and
generous contributions from the Mozilla Foundation and wonderful
community members.

You can read more about Orca at http://live.gnome.org/Orca.

==================================
* What's changed for Orca v2.28.0?
==================================

These are just since 2.27.92.  For a summary of changes since 2.26,
please see the GNOME 2.28 release notes:

http://library.gnome.org/misc/release-notes/2.28/

2.28.0 - 21-Sep-2009

General:

* Fix for bgo#595117 - Need to customize the presentation of the
  packagemanager package list toggle

New and updated translations (THANKS EVERYONE!!!):

    bg          Bulgarian           Alexander Shopov
    ca          Catalan             Gil Forcada
    ca valencia Catalan (Valencian) Carles Ferrando
    cs          Czech               Lucas Lommer and Petr Kovar
    da          Danish              Kenneth Nielsen
    de          German              Chrisitan Kirback
                                    and Mario BlÃttermann
                                    and Simon Bienlein
    en_GB       British English     Bruce Cowan
    es          Spanish             Jorge GonzÃlez
    fi          Finnish             Ilkka Tuohela
    gl          Galician            AntÃn MÃixome
    ml          Malayalam           Ani Peter
    nb          Norwegian BokmÃl    Kjartan Maraas
    pl          Polish              Tomasz Dominikowski
                                    and Piotr LeszczyÅski
    ro          Romanian            Adi Roiban
    sl          Slovenian           Matej UrbanÄiÄ
    uk          Ukranian            Maxim Dziumanenko
    zh_HK       Traditional Chinese Chao-Hsiung Liao
    zh_TW       Traditional Chinese Chao-Hsiung Liao

* Where can I get it?

You can obtain Orca v2.28.0 in source code form at the following:

http://download.gnome.org/sources/orca/2.28/orca-2.28.0.tar.gz
http://download.gnome.org/sources/orca/2.28/orca-2.28.0.tar.bz2

Enjoy!

The Orca Team