Re: [orca-list] OCR on Linux

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 01:37:23PM -0000, James & Nash wrote:
What are people using on Ubuntu for scanning please and with waht
Scanners? I have a Canon Lide 70. Also, could people give

What ever scanner is supported by scanimage, the epsons work well.

If you plug your scanner in, reboot with the scanner on, and when linux
comes back up run the command:
scanimage -L
(as root, e.g. with sudo)

It should list your scanner, note the reboot is just for the sake of
ease, so you don't have to worry about restarting relevant init scripts
etc.

instructions for setting up any OCR application or let me know where
the instructions might be found.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/projects/ocr/howto_configur
          e-ocr_linux.html

Quite old, but should still work. Don't think the patch is required, and
tesseract can probably even be installed with apt...

Or just find a stable revision from svn if the latest doesn't compile.

Also think Wilim is changing the front end to use another ocr engine...

HTH,
Dan.