Re: [orca-list] orca audio guides

Hello,
I have decided to put my comments into your message as they deal with specific points, see below.
On -10/01/37 20:59, aerospace1028 hotmail com wrote:
greetings,
I had an opertunity to sample Krishnakant's orca walk-throughs recently.  I think they would be useful to newcomers to gnu/linux+orca.  I was thinking about updating the "audio guides" section of the orca wiki to include these as well.  I have a few questions first.

(A) Other than Listen and Learn recordings (the new home for Darragh's works apparently plus some other user contributed files), Krishnakant's new tutorials, and Michael Whapples' audio guide on installing GRML, are there any other useful audio guides relating to orca that should be pointed out on the wiki?

(B) Is it possible to consolodate all the main orca audio guides to LALRecordings?  Then we could make it easier for newcommers with one-stop-shopping as far as their audio tutorials go.  And future additions wouldn't require new updates to the wiki pointing people all over the web.
I agree we could do with one place for tutorials agreed to be of use. Also for me this would be preferred as when I did the GRML tutorial and announced it here I got a message from my ISP warning that my website bandwidth allowance had been exceeded and warning further action may be taken if it occurred regularly. I can't remember whether they stopped access at a certain point of it exceeding the limit but if they were to then it wouldn't help users.

The choice of where to host tutorials I will leave to others to decide as I have no strong oppinion.

(C) Michael's grml and Krishnakant's orca tutorials are in .ogg format.  I'm not sure about Macintosh, but I know Windows Media Player does not support this format by default.  To where should be point non-linux users to find codices to support the .ogg format?  These sorts of tutorials are great for giving users of other operating systems a taste of orca before deciding to try out gnu/linux.
If future tutorials should be in MP3 (or at least preferred in MP3) then I can publish it in MP3, I just automatically encoded it with ogg vorbis as that is my preferred format. I can see if I have the original of the GRML tutorial knocking about then I could re-encode it but into MP3 if this is preferred.

As for ogg vorbis not being supported by windows media player, well my suggestion would be don't use windows media player, there are much better players out there. Anyway if windows media player has to be used then a quick google search for ogg directshow codec gives results which look useful. As an example (I don't know what the quality of it is like so don't take this as a recommendation) www.xiph.org/dshow seems to offer the correct thing. May be for more on vorbis, www.vorbis.com (again seems to be xiph).

(D) it appears the three recordings pointed to on the wiki are no longer located at the digitaldarragh site.  I tried right-clicking on the links at www.lalrecorddings.com and went to the "save target as ..." option to determine the exact path and file names, but the save dialog said I was trying to download "3.html."  Does anyone have any idea how to change the links over from the digitaldarragh site to the lalrecordings site?
Sounds like you may be getting something which does redirecting, try using a simpler browser like lynx. As an alternative to linking the files directly why not just point people to LALRecordings?

Windows 7: Simplify your PC. Learn more.