Re: [orca-list] Orca won't read gnome desktop stuff

I am glad to say on my gentoo system with Orca 2.28.1 and at-spi 2.28.1
with a quick test, Orca does read the desktop and menu items, etc.

Willie Walker <William Walker Sun COM> wrote:

Hi Michael:

It sounds like Debian may not have properly configured GNOME to
initialize accessibility properly.  There are many many things that
could be going wrong (see
http://live.gnome.org/Accessibility/Mechanics).  I suspect that the
gnome-session startup is not starting the at-spi-registryd, which
means that things launched from gnome-session (e.g., the desktop, the
panels, etc.) will not be accessible.

Will

Michael Whapples wrote:
Hello,
I have a problem with orca not seeing any of the gnome desktop
stuff. Let me explain what I mean a bit further. I have orca set to
start automatically so when I log in to gnome orca starts and says
"Welcome to orca". When I try and move about the desktop or access
menus or press alt+f2 for the run dialog orca doesn't seem to be
aware of any of this (I have turned debugging on and sure enough
there is no mention of events from this sort of activity in the
debug log). If I start an application from the run dialog
(eg. thunderbird, gedit) then orca starts reading those applications
but still doesn't see the gnome-desktop, gnome menus, etc.

What can I do to try and find out what the problem is? Any ideas of
what might be wrong and how I might fix it?

My system is a debian unstable system running orca 2.28.1. I think
the problems are related to an upgrade I did recently, does anyone
know how I could get apt to reverse some of its latest steps (either
that or at least a log of what it did so I can reverse the changes
manually) and so try and find out the package causing the problem.

Michael Whapples
The manual is at
Netiquette Guidelines are at