Re: [orca-list] Help write Orca docs

Andre:

Following your (brave?) invitation for us to add our thoughts on the
subject, I reorganized the page and tried to start structring the new
documentation.

You are doing awesome!  Many thanks for jumping on this.

1) Does it make sense to have 2 separate documents?

I think it is important to have both a tutorial and a reference aspect. Whether the document sources need to be completely separate is to be determined -- I *think* mallard might provide some means for keeping things as individual topics in individual files, but allow for some sort of separate meta threading to provide different paths through the files. If this were possible, we could help eliminate one of the biggest issues with maintaining separate documents: duplicate information. That is, it's easy to copy/paste information between documents when writing them the first time, but making sure you keep the copied information in sync while updating the document becomes an arduous task.

2) Should the Introductory Guide cover configurations and/or shortcuts
that are independent of Orca, but very useful to a VI user?
Examples:CTRL+L jumps to the Location barin Firefox, F9 sends and
receives mail for all accounts in Evolution, CTRL+S saves the current
document in Gedit /among others)...

I think including these is a good thing (as would hints such as pressing F7 to enable caret navigation mode). My thinking is that some of our audience will be people coming from different environments (e.g., Windows) and they will want to know "what's my e-mail client?", "what's my chat client?", "what's my simple text editor?", "what's my document/office client?", and "how do I use them?"

3) Should the 'Help' button in Orca main window point to the 'cheat
sheets' in yelp, or to the Guide?

In general, I think the convention is to point to the guide. For the 'cheat sheet' information, would the keyboard bindings tab of the preferences UI be enough of a quick reference?

In the mean time, I volunteer for the Evolution and Firefox tutorials.

Since you seem to be doing a really really good job so far on the high level organization, would you like to keep running with the overall docs?

Thanks so much!

Will