Re: [orca-list] netbooks and gnome/orca/firefox

On Sat, 2009-10-17 at 16:14 +1100, Daniel Dalton wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a netbook. I would imagine the one I will get if
I do decide to purchase one will have 1.66 ghz, and 1 or 2 gb of ram.
2 gb ram is better.
Has anyone had experience with orca, gnome and these machines? How well
does orca operate on them, how responsive is it when web browsing. Or am
I better off buying a full size, more expensive unit that will give me
better speed?

Any time buying a complete full-sized laptop may be one that comes with
12.1 inch moniter is a good choice.

But indeed if you *want* to buy a netbook, I have used lenovo s10 with
Ubuntu and orca.
It works pritty well as long as you don't run evolution together with
openoffice word processor or spreadsheet at the same time.

I just gave you an example, it implies that any heavy memory consuming
application with orca already running might create a problem.
But all in all surffing with shiretoko (ff3.5) and using office as such
does not give any real problem on performance.
But on a full time basis I use my IBM thinkpad with a core2 duo
processor with 2 gb ram and I just love it.
Ubuntu 9.04 works out of the box on this machine and orca does very
well.  Another reason I recommend blind people to stay away from
netbooks is that they are too delicate and by chance if we bang against
some thing, the chances are that it will get damaged.
apart from that the keyboard is really 2 cramped up, but that is not a
real show-stopper, although it is a bit of discomfort.

My thinkpad is a bit big no doubt (14 inch ), but I beleive that's ok
for me.
I am using it for last 2 years and now I have decided that when I
purchase a new laptop may be in 2011, I will either go for a mac or a
thinkpad.

Happy hacking.
Krishnakant.
Dan