Re: [orca-list] To Dave: what is an Orca Wiki?

Peter Tesar <ptesar ca inter net> wrote:
This has been my problem. There are too many unknowns. Words, acronyms and
concepts that are not described. What are the steps that one must know to
get started?

The information is coming piece meal from many sources. I haven't found
anything (in one place) that gives the basics that a new Linux/Orca/Speakup
user would need.

I think there's a more basic problem: running your own system entails that you
have to learn to be both a user and a system administrator all at once, and
for some of us there's an assistive technology to learn as well.

I started with an account on a SunOS machine (actually, OS/MP on Solbourne
hardware) which was administered by the university. I learned Unix as a user
first. Later, Linux arrived on the scene and I successfully installed it on my
own hardware, at which point I was confident enough with the basics to learn
system administration skills quite easily. Shell scripting and C followed
naturally.

This is why I suggest a live CD/DVD, or a live solid-state (flash memory)
device as a starting point. HOwever, I don't know whether there's a really
good live distribution that includes Orca, and which is designed primarily to
be used live rather than as an installer. Linux users' groups are another
possibility: someone else can help with the installation and help the new user
to start the learning process, and in that case the people are real, face to
face encounters rather than being limited to providing assistnace over a
mailing list or IRC channel.