[orca-list] To Sandy: advice to a new user from another new user.

Hi,

I’m also new to this and perhaps my experiences over the last month can help.

I downloaded the Vinux 2.0, Ubuntu8.04 and Ubuntu 9.04 ISO files. These can be burned (using an ISO burner) to create a live CD.

Your computer must have the BIOS/CMOS setting set to allow powering on the computer with the CD in the tray. This is called booting from the CD.

1) If I boot to the Vinux live CD, it takes 4 minutes until I hear “welcome toORCA”.
This is a distribution that does not need sighted assistance and it will start talking automatically. It has allowed me to learn some basic commands and to navigate the GUI and command line console.

On the GUI, I cannot get to the partition editor and launch the install without sighted assistance. Perhaps there are hot keys for these functions but I am taking the time to learn how to do this myself on the console.

2) If I boot to the Ubuntu live CD, it does not result in ORCA starting automatically. The word Install must be highlighted and a setup process is required with sighted assistance.

However, you can install the Ubuntu with Windows and JAWS running. Just insert the CD into the tray and a Windows dialogue box titled Ubuntu setup menu will come up. Tab to and select the “Install Inside Windows” button.

The next dialogue box requires some information: a drive letter for the destination of Ubuntu and the user ID and password.
Then select the accessibility button.

At this point the Ubuntu 8.04 has the radio button check-box clearly labeled:
  Visibility Aids – screen reader.
Select this.

Version 9.04 has two items labeled Visibility Aids 1 and 2. You will have to guess which is which.

I chose a drive letter on a second physical hard disk which does not have Windows. I think that it will work with Ubuntu on the same disk as Windows but put it into a different drive.

Proceeding with the installation will copy files from the CD to the destination drive inside a “Ubuntu” folder. Then reboot.

A boot manager will come up. Windows was my default and Windows and JAWS start automatically.

When you select Ubuntu, the first time, it will take some minutes for files to be unpacked. You will then have to enter the login ID (ENTER) and password (ENTER). Sighted assistance may be needed.

On my system ORCA does not talk with Ubuntu. Perhaps the Linux in Ubuntu does not recognize my sound card. Perhaps ORCA will talk on your system.

On my system the Vinux 2.0 ORCA does talk. I will try to figure out how to use it to install it to a hard drive.

Good luck and let us new users know how you get on.

Peter