Re: [orca-list] To Sandy: advice to a new user from another new user.

On Fri, 2009-10-16 at 19:52 -0400, Peter Tesar wrote:
Hi,

IÂm also new to this and perhaps my experiences over the last month
can help.

I downloaded the Vinux 2.0, Ubuntu8.04 and Ubuntu 9.04 ISO files.
These can be burned (using an ISO burner) to create a live CD.

Your computer must have the BIOS/CMOS setting set to allow powering on
the computer with the CD in the tray. This is called booting from the
CD.

1) If I boot to the Vinux live CD, it takes 4 minutes until I hear
 Âwelcome toORCAÂ.
Depends on the memory and other factors.

This is a distribution that does not need sighted assistance and it
will start talking automatically. It has allowed me to learn some
basic commands and to navigate the GUI and command line console.
Same can be done with ubuntu live cd.

2) If I boot to the Ubuntu live CD, it does not result in ORCA
starting automatically. The word Install must be highlighted and a
setup process is required with sighted assistance.
Orca can indeed be started on the ubuntu live cd.
when the cd is inserted, the first prompt asks for the language, hit
enter.
now press f5 and then 3.
f5 is for accessibility menu and 3 is orca.
now hit enter 2 times.
you will find that orca starts on the live cd as well.

However, you can install the Ubuntu with Windows and JAWS running.
Just insert the CD into the tray and a Windows dialogue box titled
Ubuntu setup menu will come up. Tab to and select the ÂInstall Inside
Windows button.

No, you can run the ubuntu installer directly with orca running.
I am using orca 2.27.1 with ubuntu 9.04 and I don't feel any need for
any proprietory software or proprietory OS.
Infact I am more happy than ever before.
Net works perfectly with firefox and evolution is a very accesible mail
client (I keep requesting a tutorial for thunderbird but never got
one ).
the entire office suite works very well with orca.
No problems chatting using pidgin and ekiga is accessible as well.

Go for it and you will love it.

Happy hacking.
Krishnakant.