Re: [orca-list] Accessibly running 32-bit apps on AMD64

Hi
I've done the latter approach and, while it does work to some degree, it sometimes produces weird system
issues when the 32-bit and 64-bit libraries are loaded together. I don't have the errors on hand that
resulted, but it seemed that the 32-bit and 64-bit libraries were colliding when trying to access certain
parts of the accessibility infrastructure. In my case I just compiled a 64-bit binary of the application
(firefox in my case) but we do need to note that this is not always possible, a la proprietary gtk-based
applications (amazon mp3 downloader being a good example).
Btw, a chroot is hardly necessary if you want to mix 64 and 32 libs, the linker is designed to load 32-bit
libs from /lib32, /usr/lib32, /usr/local/lib32. I suppose you could find a 64-bit linker that wasn't compiled
to support this, but I've not seen one yet.

Anyone have any thoughts on how this issue can actually be worked out? Something for GNOME 3.0 perhaps? It's
a Linux linker and library design issue but at the same time, 32-bit applications tend to work if their
libraries are in place and only when mixed with the accessibility infrastructure do things start to act up.