To: Daniel Dalton <d dalton iinet net au>
Cc: vip-l <vip-l softspeak com au>
Subject: Re: VIP-L: Jaws
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 20:41:05 +0900

Those who don't want to read techy comparisons, press delete or control-d
now or whatever the equivalent delete message method is in your chosen
operating system happens to be.

Whilst I read this message with interest 2 things occur to me.
1: this message is targetted at a technical audience. It is probably better
targetted to the Jaws/Orca list.
Hearing about what you apparently don't like about Jaws but love about
Linux and lynx probably isn't going to make lots of people switch to Linux
overnight, and the content of these messages is too technical for many
users to grock.

People who do want to try Linux can certainly obtain Ubuntu, vinux
http://www.vinux.org.uk
or arch linux talking install media.
Vinux might be a good choice for many as it comes up talking, has support
for many braille displays, (automatic support for many USB ones) and will
provide full-screen magnification with the press of a key sequence.

You have been brought up with Linux or chosen that OS and believe that
their way is the best way, or at least for you.
There's no point knocking the other ways until you have thoroughly
experienced them and their strengths and limitations.

Many others may choose to stick with Windows, as that is what they are
comfortable with. That is their choice.

2: This message seems to talk about the way you expect and want things to
work, and what you think is better.
Whilst you may feel you have some good ideas in this field, i'm sure
Freedomscientific also have ideas that have and do work for them and have
done for aproximately 10 years now.

Windoweyes also uses a virtual buffer, although they call it browse mode.
It appears that 2 separate screen reader companies find value in a virtual
buffer for windows and Firefox.
NVDA virtualizes pages also to my knowledge.
This method is affective, fast and does work for a lot of people and
continues to do so. If the method had been floored surely it would have
been disguarded years ago.

Perhaps if you want your Orca and your object rendered page then that is
the solution _you_ should be using.
For the majority of us, the virtual buffer, forms mode, quick keys and the
like work well for rich media content pages that contain flash and web 2.0
elements under Windows.
Try your solution on facebook and other web 2.0 pages and see how it stacks
up, perhaps you will gain an understanding for how Windows does things in a
different but valid way.

Also why not try Jaws out and learn how it works rather than plying the
list with questions? You'll have a far better understanding of how the
underlying system works from a user interface perspective.

The reason why Orca can interact with firefox as it does is that it hooks
into the underlying API of the browser and understands how objects render
and what they are.
This code and methods will require constant evolution as firefox and gnome
mature.

Are you sure that what you hear aproximates the page layout? How do you
know how wide a table column is? How do you know the spacing between
graphics or text? In my experience Orca and firefox aproximate as well.
As previously noted, Orca only works with Firefox to my knowledge, Jaws's
virtual buffer works with Internet explorer, Firefox, and other rich edit
controls providing a uniform method of accessing these across multiple
applications.

If you want a different take on things try NVDA and firefox 3 under
Windows; although I think as stated above NVDA whilst hooking into the
internals of firefox virtualizes.

Also note that lynx destroys the formatting of a page to display it on a
fixed-width terminal or braille display.
Most text unless specifically formatted is in a proportional font, which is
to say that an I is narrower than an M.
Courier and times are fonts that do have all letters the same width.
In a text display, an I is as wide as an M, (or takes up the same
horizontal space) and you allways get the same number of characters per
line.

Many fonts in a GUI will give you more narrower letters so you'll get more
I characters on a line than you will ms.
did you know this? did Orca expose this to you or lynx?
Ever wondered why tables in html format so badly on a fixed-width terminal?
There are some of your reasons why output manipulation is required.

You have not had much experience with Jaws's virtual buffer and therefore
have no idea whether or not it is faster or slower to use than your
solution.
Initially it will seem slower as you are not used to the methods or
interfaces but as you learn to use them you can make an informed  decision
as for what is best for you.

I personally own a Mac, and do not enjoy the way it does things and the
speed at which voiceover operates. It is my choice not to use voiceover,
and my reasons are gleaned from my experience with the operating system and
environment.
My objections to voiceover are made based on technical experience, and not
a comparison to how another operating system does things.

Once you have experience of the ccompetition you will be able to make your
own decisions on what you prefer and choose to use.
You may find however as your education continues and you get into
potentially TAFE or University you will have to use webCT or Blackboard,
systems that do require a screen reading solution with the ability to
present rich multi-media content in a way vision impaired can understand.
It will be interesting to see which of the many solutions suits you in
these environments.
I know plenty of people who used to use Linux, but ended up using a mix of
Windows and Linux for various reasons such as
the need or desire to access an outlook mail system, access to pdf
documents, the ability to edit complex office documents and write macros
and similar.
the solutions you use now, did not exist 3 years ago, in their current
form, (firefox and Orca) and what you'll use in 3 years time may not be
like what you use today.

I use Windows for a lot of things for the above reasons, including sound
editing, virtual machines in vmware work station with snapshots etc and for
the web 2.0 experience.
I prefer Jaws to Windoweyes, but I can and have used both.
It is up to you to settle on what suits you best to achieve the work you
wish to do.
Computers and software are tools to be applied by a person to the day to
day problems they face.
Regards, Kerry.

----- End forwarded message -----

I've used both orca and JAWS btw, if anyone is curious :)
[jaws for over 3 years]

----- Forwarded message from Daniel Dalton <d dalton iinet net au> -----