Re: [orca-list] buffering

Daniel Dalton <d dalton iinet net au> wrote:
Hi,

I'm sure this topic has been discussed before. I was in discussion with
a couple of people from another mailing list, had to use jaws for a day,
(and hated it), but we got onto the topic of virtual buffering. I don't
think it's the best idea myself, but I think it is good at times. So,
would a key to "buffer" the current page, help at all with:
- speed of navigating pages when blind?
- Responsiness
- Accessibility.

There was a lengthy discussion about it last year, the conclusion of which was
that it's a product of the way processes are handled in the Windows
environment, and that, since the same limitations don't exist under Linux,
buffering should not be implemented. A number of disadvantages were also
pointed out, including the unnecessary complexity that it introduces and the
problems it creates in dealing with Web applications which update the HTML
content without reloading the page - exactly the kinds of applications for
which Aria has been created.

I think the discussion was on the mozilla-accessibility list; you might find
it helpful to look at their archive.