[orca-list] New user

Well I am finally going to do it. After being in graduate school, and using jaws, kerswiel 1000, and windows for five years, I am going open source.

So, help.  I ordered a new laptop from del, and will be excited to learn all about how to use orca. I have never used anything other than windows and jaws, so I guess I need to know where to start. I have been reading some of the information on the orca site, which is great, but often I have found when starting a new project like switching from windows to an open source platform, having some help from others is always useful.

My activities on the computer are, email, surfing the web, reading books from book share, rfbd, nls, scanning materials, e.g. my mail, books and the like, instant messaging, and using   word processing and spreadsheets for home and office use.

Tips, tricks?

Thank you all in advance for any help you can give regarding the tasks I usually perform. One additional note: I still have the K 1000 and jaws at work, so if the answer to how to do something is, it can’t be done easily, I still have access to these programs.

Again thank you

Jason