Re: [orca-list] Accessible VOIP systems

Regarding this and the follow on comments - this is good stuff, IMO. Michael - can I put you in charge of keeping a summary and then we can work to get it on the Orca WIKI under http://live.gnome.org/Orca/AccessibleApps ?

Thanks!

Will

Michael Whapples wrote:
Hello,
I'm going to go carefully on this one as I know how a basic question regarding skype went into a rather off topic discusssion, I hope this doesn't.

Also I hope I used the correct generic term (VOIP) for what I mean, I am talking about any of the computer based telephone type services (eg. skype, teamspeak, SIP, etc). I will continue to use the term VOIP for this, sorry to anyone if this is wrong.

So what is this message actually about? Which VOIP systems are accessible with orca, and which are the better ones?

I did a bit of research yesterday and here is some of what I found out (may be some of this wants to find its way to the orca wiki, don't know, I will leave that decission to others should they want to).

Skype: Not currently accessible because it uses QT for the GUI, may be the work on at-spi dbus will help. Possibly useable (to some extent, not sure on how much) with one of the plugins for a different system (skype4pidgin or bitlbee-skype) although I never got one of these actually working on my system. I did manage to get the Skype4Py python skype API working and could check my details and perform a user search (I didn't test any more), so I suppose at least I know an external application can connect to skype on my system, not sure why the plugins didn't work. May be an alternative interface application could be created using python, I am not sure I would want to spend a huge amount of time on developing that but I would be willing to help out.

TeamSpeak: Linux client not accessible. Also I think this may not fall in free software as it is in the non-free repository of debian, I don't know fully how restricted it is.

TeamBlittityBlattity: I am mentioning this purely because it relates to teamspeak. It appears its a opensource client for teamspeak and might be accessible as it uses WX widgets. I can't comment whether it is accessible or how well it works as I couldn't compile it on my system to try it out, it seems quite old so may be that's why I couldn't compile it. Anyway if you want to look at it then look at http://teambb.sf.net

Mumble: This is an open source system (I believe using its own protocol), but they claim it achieves good sound quality and low-latency. Again this is QT so not currently accessible. I don't know whether any developers plan to make alternative clients for it.

SIP: Probably the most flexible solution as there are many clients (eg. ekiga, linphone, etc). Both linphone and ekiga seem accessible although I think I noticed some problems with the tabbing inside ekiga. Linphone has both command line versions and a GUI version, both are useable. I don't know how the sound quality compares to others as I don't have enough experience with the various systems, can much better be expected (IE. is it very desireable to get one of the other systems accessible?), may be others can comment.

So is there any system I have missed which is worth mentioning? Is there any other accessible clients other than those mentioned? As SIP seems to be the only natively accessible system on Linux may be the orca wiki needs details of using ekiga or linphone.

Any other thoughts which would be on topic?

Michael Whapples