Re: [orca-list] Administrative program accessibility on OpenSuSE compared to Ubuntu

On Mon, 9 Mar 2009, Jacob Schmude wrote:

Open Yast for a good example of this, although any administration program will do--as Yast is the primary
admin tool on OpenSUSE however it's a good start. I haven't looked
into OpenSUSE in great detail though I do have it installed here, but their sudo acts very different from
most. You'll notice that it asks you for the root password, not your
password, and does so even from the terminal and not only from the GUI. Perhaps they're not using standard
sudo, or have set it up vastly different from the way I've seen sudo
being configured.

OpenSUSE is using gnomesu. There are several graphical su/sudo programs out there.

There was also a post on the gnome-accessibility-list a while back from someone at Novell who claimed they
had patched Orbit so the .orbitrc hack was no longer necessary.
Perhaps they integrated this patch into OpenSUSE? See this message:
ORBit change needs testing
The message seems to indicate that this patch was put into svn at that time, but I'm not sure if that
happened. The behavior of orbit in other distros seems to indicate that it
did not.

It is included in ORBit 2.14.15. However, it requires that ORBIT_SOCKETDIR be propagated to the program running as root, and which environment variables are propagated, if any, will depend on the program being used to set root and the way it is configured.

-Mike G-