Re: [orca-list] Orca 2.24.4 and file manager dialogues

Hi Steve:

The performance problems are kind of on both sides. Nautilus ends up spewing a bunch of events to Orca when it is populating the list. This causes some degradation in the AT-SPI infrastructure and can slow down the whole desktop. Orca then needs to process all these events, slowing Orca down and potentially slowing down the desktop even more if Orca needs to make queries back to Nautilus for each event.

We could potentially try to make some improvements in Orca to ignore these events, but I've not really been able to figure out a graceful way to do so yet. It may be quite obvious, but I haven't been able to dedicate a lot of time to looking at the problem yet. On the Nautilus side, they might be able to prevent the event storm from happening in the first place, but it might interfere with some UI design they have in place (e.g., visually populating the window at the same time it is analyzing the contents of the directory).

Will