Re: [orca-list] Orca Install - multiple versions

Thanx Will.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Willie Walker" <William Walker Sun COM>
To: "Rich Caloggero" <rich_caloggero wgbh org>
Cc: <orca-list gnome org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 4:25 PM
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Orca Install - multiple versions

Hi Rich:

You can isolate the builds/installs of Orca, but the customizations and
preferences will be shared by default.

I typically run "./autogen.sh --prefix=`pwd`/bld".  This creates a bld
directory under the area where I checked out the Orca sources.  I then
point my PATH to the fully specified bld/bin directory or just run the
orca command by typing the full path to bld/bin/orca.

If you want to use a different directory for the user preferences
directory (i.e., the default is ~/.orca), you can use orca's -u option
-- type orca --help for a listing of the options).

Will

Rich Caloggero wrote:
Is there a way I can completely isolate two versions of Orca for testing?

I have installed the latest 2.25 version from SVN into my home directory
by
using a path to a subdirectory of my home when specifying a --prefix on
the
autogen.sh command. However, I assume my customization and other script
files will now be shared among the system orca (2.24.4), and the new
version. I have seemingly confirmed this by running the 2.25 version,
opening preferences, and setting the "start orca at login" to off. Now,
when
I rerun the system orca (2.24.4), this checkbox is unchecked.

I assume just recreating the .orca tree will recreate it specific to 2.25
version? However, is there a way of specifying a path for orca's scripts
and
customizations on the command line or via some other means?

Thanx in advance.
-- Rich