Re: [orca-list] orca on debian

Hello,
I am keeping it on list as some of it is relevant for orca.

Starting with your first comment (which I feel is very relevant), the initial set up of orca where it lists languages should be answered by using the number of your choice. EG. For the IBMtts driver for gnome speech the voice options may be presented as:
1 male 1
2 male 2
3 female 1
To choose male 2 you should type 2 and press enter to accept. Orca doesn't echo this.

May be orca should be improved to give better feedback of what to do. Also may be arrow selection as well. If you feel strongly about this being a useability issue then report an enhancement bug at http://bugzilla.gnome.org stating how orca could be improved. May be report back your thoughts as well to this list.

The next bit is a bit off topic but as it is in this message which does include on topic stuff I will quickly say.

I have achieved this by removing the execute bits from the gdm init file:
chmod a-x /etc/init.d/gdm
It may not be the best way but it works. Now this is done you should use startx to start gnome.

Michael Whapples