Re: [orca-list] orca on debian

On 03.03.2009 at 16:35:43 Keith Barrett <lists barrettpianos co uk> wrote:

Wonder if there are any debian users on the list.

I have been trying to get gnome and orca working.

So far, I have updated my apt/sources.list and used apt to install gnome
from squeeze.

When gnome starts, I get the orca selection choices for language and
synth.

However, I am finding that the arrow keys have no affect and once orca
has read the screen, I cannot get it to speak again.

Did you start Orca from within  Gnome?
What exactly does Orca speak? Isn't there something like "Enter your
choice..." or "Enter a value..."?
If so, you have chosen the text setup.
In order to get a GUI preference dialog, enter:
orca -s
from within Gnome.
You can also enter:
orca -t
from within a text console.
Then you get asked for your choices, which you have to enter into the
fields, but the setup tells you so.

I presume that I should be able to make a selection with the arrow or
tabb?

Not sure if I am doing something wrong or if this is a bug?

See above.

Also, would like to stop gdm from starting.  I want to boot in to the
command line and only start gnome on demand.

Enter the following as root on a text console:
update-rc.d -f gdm remove

Perhapse it would be better to reply offlist as this may be considered
offtopic.

Why? Your questions are mainly Orca related.
Hermann