[orca-list] orca problem with fedora 9

I have a fresh install of fedora 9 installed from the images at the speakup modified fedora site. I cannot get orca to work. I can open a gnome-terminal window and type 'orca' and it begins to speak. But it asks me to pick a speech engine and then stops.

I usually use debian linux. I want to give fedora a try so I can try vmware workstation. But I am not too knowledgable about fedora. I think I have managed to update my system. Saying 'yum update' downloaded 60+Mb of stuff the first time and said it had nothing to do when I ran it again. So I think I have an up to date fedora 9 system.