Re: [orca-list] Strange orca behavior.

Hello,
I don't know what is wrong in your case, but orca shouldn't need that much restarting. Have you read the information on getting a debug log from orca (information on the orca wiki somewhere)? Possibly if you could get a debug log file and posted it here may be someone will be able to find a reason for the problem.

As far as your questions about distros, I have to say that ubuntu seems to get alot of messages posted about people having trouble with it. I don't know whether this is a reflection on it or if it is simply that ubuntu pushes itself towards newcomers and so having so many newcomers there are more people to find problems they can't find the answer themselves. Anyway as I don't use ubuntu I will keep my own oppinion to myself and leave others to make up their own minds on ubuntu.

As for question of most stable distro, the decission is possibly more complicated than that. Debian stable goes through alot of checks before its released, and so is very stable, but as a consequence software in debian stable tends to be quite old (eg. debian stable is on gnome 2.22). However if you are prepared to put up with some potential bugs and such like then debian unstable has gnome 2.26. If you know how to manage a debian unstable system it can be very useable and you shouldn't have too many problems (eg. I can have my computer on all day and never need to restart gnome or even orca).

The other consideration you should make when choosing a distribution is how its designed to be used. This can be for what use its designed for (eg. desktop system, web server, etc) but also the type of user (eg. debian tends to be a lot more orientated to command line configuration and configuration files, where as systems like ubuntu tend to expect the user to be more of a GUI user and so provides configuration applications).

As I mentioned I am using debian unstable (if I am precise it is GRML, but it is very close to debian and so for these purposes can be treated as debian, particularly as GRML uses debian's packages for gnome). I would consider myself a confident user who is prepared to use the command line and edit configuration files, so I tend towards distributions like debian and slackware.

As another note, I believe some of the orca team use opensolaris, and this is the distribution they do work to ensure gnome accessibility is configured correctly. Please be aware opensolaris while similar to linux, is not actually a linux distribution, its another flavour of unix called solaris. I have to say that when I had a look at opensolaris I did like what I saw, but I don't use it for a few reasons (it doesn't support my better quality sound card, java access bridge at the time seemed unreliable on opensolaris, and no way to switch to a full text console and use something like speakup).

Michael Whapples