[orca-list] Mandriva Linux 2009-1

Hello, all!

I just would like to tell You, that I installed a couple of days ago the
latest release of the Mandriva Linux operating system. Unfortunately, I
don't know of any way to install this distribution eyesfree,but after
installing I found the distsro to be a pleasant surprise from
accessibility point of view. I slected gnome profile during the install
and after logging in to newly installed desktop I started orca the usual
way and passed the initial configuration dialog without any problem.
After logging out and in again, Orca started speaking and I can confirm
the following:
1. All major applications are accessible$
2. most administrative aplication are accessible (no need to play
with .orbitrc and sudoeers files. Though I should admit that there are
certain accessibility issues with some of the admin apps;
3. pulseaudio does not conflicts with Orca's speech system at all and,
if You wish, You can turn it off to get slight improvement in system
responsiveness. But after that no system sound are played.

The system in general is very stable and all applications I use work as
expected.

So, I think that Mandriva distribution deserves attention from the blind
users as one of the possible desktop solutions.

WBR,

Sergei Fleytin.