Re: [orca-list] gnome-core

Gnome-core seems to be packages used by distributions to specify the main components of gnome. I don't think its a real package in the sense that it actually provides something itself, it purely has dependencies on other packages to make it easy for people to get the basic and essential parts of gnome. Whether there is a standard for what should be installed by the gnome-core package I don't know, but should orca require anything more then any good package management system such as apt should tell you about the extra dependencies. On debian gnome-core doesn't specify orca, so users would need to specify orca as well as gnome-core.

The only other alternative for gnome-core is that having a look on the GNOME ftp site there seems to be a gnome-core package, but the newest version is 1.5.8 and the date against those files is from 2002. The GNOME ftp gnome-core package I believe may be an old thing and so not used anymore (the date of the files and the version doesn't match the gnome-core package of debian), so I think the current meaning for gnome-core is the package provided by a distribution which provides the basic and essential parts of gnome.

Michael Whapples