Re: [orca-list] What is currently the most accessible distribution both out of the box and afterwards?

I personally go for the debian type systems, my computer is running GRML however may be GRML isn't for those finding there feet in linux.

My reasoning for debian systems is not really to do with accessibility although I haven't hit any big problems with accessibility intergration in debian. My reasoning for GRML is related to accessibility, it has speakup on the CD by default so permitting a fully accessible install and at the time I was making the decision I think GRML was the best offer for debian with speakup.

My advice now might be different, I have heard that vinux recently changed to debian instead of ubuntu. This probably offers a better user experience for accessibility as that's its main aim I think. I wouldn't have considered vinux while it was ubuntu based, but that's nothing to do with accessibility, its my view on ubuntu more generally.

The other one I was impressed with, should you not mind using solaris instead of linux and so don't want something like speakup in the text console, then opensolaris seemed to work very well. However as solaris is not linux and the lack of speakup along with sound card support at the time I looked at it, I ruled it out for being a system for me.

I don't really know whether this sort of question is on topic or not, but I would say distro choice is quite a personal choice, and so may be the best way to find an answer is to try some. As an example, I found myself happy enough with GRML/debian that I didn't feel the need to look at the RPM systems like fedora and opensuse, this doesn't reflect at all on those RPM based systems, plenty seem to be happy with them.

Michael Whapples