Re: [orca-list] Off topic discussions

On Sat, 2009-02-28 at 11:12 -0500, al Sten-Clanton wrote:
If I ever write on this list to ask about adding a feature to Orca, and I
know of that feature because I found it in JAWS, I'm sure going to mention
JAWS in my message.  We don't need to avoid the W-word or the J-word to
avoid engaging in philosophical or technical battles that belong elsewhere.

For most people, including most blind people, comparison is crucial in
deciding what sort of software is "compelling."  Much of the comparing will
be with proprietary software; it can't be helped, and shouldn't be
discouraged.

I differ on this thought because i won't ask for any thing just because
"jaws has it and if i don't get it here i don't think orca is good
enough ".

I don't think comparing always helps.  We as free software developres
are more brains together both in terms of quality and quantity, so most
of the time we might end up finding a better alternative to a problem.

Our discussions should be "I would like if I could perform x task with y
feature, what do others think? " and then let a community brain storming
happen.

irrespective of how a certain proprietory software does it, we want to
have or not have the feature any ways depending on the community demand
and the urgency of the feature.
I am happy that such a discussion came up on this list so that it puts
the focus back in place.

Even I feel that off late some off topic questions have indeed come up.
If I get an idea I will just share it irrispective of any one knowing
such a thing exists in jaws or window-eyes for that matter.

This is infact the best way to focus on creating a high quality free
software.  it will not just help inovative ideas to come up but will
also stop off topic flamewars.

happy hacking.
Krishnakant.