Re: [orca-list] Off topic discussions

If I ever write on this list to ask about adding a feature to Orca, and I
know of that feature because I found it in JAWS, I'm sure going to mention
JAWS in my message.  We don't need to avoid the W-word or the J-word to
avoid engaging in philosophical or technical battles that belong elsewhere.

For most people, including most blind people, comparison is crucial in
deciding what sort of software is "compelling."  Much of the comparing will
be with proprietary software; it can't be helped, and shouldn't be
discouraged.  There are more agile thought processes to keep topics on their
right lists.

Arguably, the most off-topic thread I've seen on this list is the recent one
about whether Vinux will or will not direct us into a "blind ghetto."  I
wouldn't ever have started a thread like that here, but I eventually felt
diriven to add my piece to it.  It's the kind of topic that can pop up at
just about any gathering of blind people, and in large measure, that's what
this list is.  (I just hope I have the sense not to join in again, if
something else that far off-topic shows up here.)

 Beyond that, I think my opinion on this is pretty close to Will's, though
more tentatively.

Al