Re: [orca-list] Interested in helping with orca.

Hello Damian,
Firstly welcome to linux and orca. While you say that it isn't the best screen reader out there, I have to say linux (possibly more widely than orca) is very useable for blind users and infact is now my main operating system. I can agree some of orca could do with improvements but things are moving along at quite a pace.

Yes I think plenty can be done in documentation for those who just want to use a system. There are some (probably myself included) who feel Linux is about choice and so don't like those systems which try and do stuff for the user as this can restrict or at least make the freedom difficult. Sometimes this gets read as trying to make it difficult for new users, but I don't mean it to (I can't speak for others). I personally feel to help new users we could do with more guides and howtos to walk people through these choices rather than hide these choices from them. The only way people will gain these freedoms is by learning about them. So if you spot a gap in documentation you feel could do with filling, I am sure plenty would be happy.

Michael Whapples