Re: [orca-list] No speech in Voxin with Gnome-Speech

Hi,
GRML uses ALSA by default but voxin (or more correctly IBMtts) uses OSS for output. Did you remember to do the following to make viavoice gnome-speech driver use ALSA: Edit the file /usr/lib/bonobo/servers/GNOME_Speech_SynthesisDriver_Viavoice.server and modify the line which contains:
type="exe location="viavoice-synthesis-driver"
So that the location will use the ALSA-OSS emulation (I choose to use the aoss script with the viavoice synthesis-driver but you can add a library to the LD_PRELOAD variable). If using aoss the location would change to:
aoss /usr/bin/viavoice-synthesis-driver

Also ensure that aoss is actually installed (I think GRML does include it by default but just check.

Michael Whapples