Re: [orca-list] Vinux 1.3 Released!

On 24.02.2009 at 21:00:42 Labrador <labrad0r edpnet be> wrote:

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 05:02:15PM +0100, Hermann wrote:
On 24.02.2009 at 16:32:51 "Bob Tinney" <tinneyb charter net> wrote:
[...]
We can all ask for special exceptions and special releases,
but anything special just removes us further from the mainstream, and it
allows the mainstream to ignore us even more then they do now.

I cannot see the specialty of Vinux. What features are there that
distract sighted users from working with this distro?

If you don't see it, then boot a Vinux cd without having to do lots of
things blindly and then tell us if that's not a major difference.

You have not understood what I tried to say:
In my point of view a "special solution" is one that is designed only
for a small community of persons, and, in addition, changes the look and
feel of an OS in a way that makes other people stay away from using it.
I know Vinux and I'm aware of the changes made. But: It _is an Ubuntu,
and I guess it will _always stay an Ubuntu, unless you deside to change
the basic system, let's say to Lenny. But in this case it will _always be
a Lenny.
To give you an example I refer to special OCR programs such as Openbook,
which is based on a usual OCR, but the whole design is aimed at the VI
community.
A similar approach is Adriane: You can leave the interface and go to the
shell, but that's not the intention of the developer: One should stay
with Adriane, because this is viewed as the only efficient way a blind
person can work with Linux. And that's a big difference to Vinux. Don't you think
so?
My intention was support for Vinux, not critisism.
Hermann