Re: [orca-list] Vinux 1.3 Released!

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 05:02:15PM +0100, Hermann wrote:
On 24.02.2009 at 16:32:51 "Bob Tinney" <tinneyb charter net> wrote:
[...]
We can all ask for special exceptions and special releases,
but anything special just removes us further from the mainstream, and it
allows the mainstream to ignore us even more then they do now.

I cannot see the specialty of Vinux. What features are there that
distract sighted users from working with this distro?

If you don't see it, then boot a Vinux cd without having to do lots of
things blindly and then tell us if that's not a major difference.

Which concept did Anthony implement that pushs us back to the "ghetto"?
For you it seems you prefer difficulties to easyness, the way Tony work is
based on another approach / another point of vue:
Vinux is independent and free to be optimized for a specific public, while
mainstream distros won't do as good as it since they must keep it "general",
not specific.

I only see some modifications that makes an Ubuntu based system more
convenient to the VI people.

It's clearly told on the website that this is a remster.

So I'm asking what we are talking about?

About things that Ubuntu Accessibility haven't done for more than 18 months
now while two itinerant idiots have fixed it in six days! that's
exactly what we are talking about.

I suggest that you show this distro to your sighted friends and ask them,
whether this system would distract them from using it?

I don't understand this: sighted persons haven't the same problems than VI,
they don't need braille autodetection at bootup,
they don't need orca nor espeak talking around their head; but we do need it
and Ubuntu have suppressed the braille autodetection at all: that's bad,
wrong, stupid.

Labrad0r