Re: [orca-list] got to play with orca and gnome!!!!

Hi Josh:

Congrats! The very first time you run Orca, you will be prompted to set up some preferences. From there, you shouldn't need to rerun the setup utility (i.e., orca -t for text setup mode).

We've made a recent addition to Orca that will let you configure whether you want it started automatically when you login as well, so won't need to launch it by hand each time.

If your final tech project permits you to go outside Linux, but stay within the open source community, you might also try OpenSolaris 2008.11. It has an accessible live CD and install:

http://opensolaris.org/os/project/indiana/status/accessibility/AccessibleLiveCd/
http://dlc.sun.com/osol/opensolaris/2008/11/osol-0811.iso

Good luck!

Will

I got to play with orca and gnome running from the live vinux cd today for the first time! My tech teacher and I hooked a monitor up at the colorado center for the blind and she had to use the keyboard to get to accessibility and start orca for me. Or, I guess I could have hit alt f2 and typed orca and pressed enter? or, would it be better to type alt f2 and type:
orca -t
or: orca --t for text setup? At any rate it looks really cool! My final tech project is to set up a computer with either one linux distro, or multiple linux distros such as a computer running both oralux and vinux or vinux and adriane. Also, I have a package viavoice text to speech with a .rpm extension. can I install this into vinux and use that voice with orca once I get the debian based vinux installed to the hard drive? Also, is it hard to get ethernet networking enabled in gnome/debian so I can connect to the internet and use firefox under gnome? Josh