Re: [orca-list] installing gnome and orca on debian lenny

On 17.02.2009 at 23:38:24 Keith Barrett <lists barrettpianos co uk> wrote:

Hi

I am using debian lenny with speakup.  I do not have any graphical
interface installed.

Thinking of trying gnome and orca, mainly for web browsing.

So, wondering about the best way to get gnome and orca?  Can I just use
apt-get?

I would prefer aptitude, and you can use it of course.

Also, any chance that any of this could mess up speakup and the command
line?

I would recommend you to read Michael Whapples' guide to install Gnome
on GRML. This distro is based on Lenny, so you could do the most steps
as described.
If no particular issues come up, you can use your Speakup and your
command line as you use to do. I also use the console mainly.

I may use another hard drive so, again, the best way of getting orca if
I start with another drive?

What do you mean? You then would have 2 drives with different systems?

Should I let the installer get the desktop computer packages or should I
manually install packages?

See Michaels' guide, it's rather simple. You can install any wanted
package after you've set up your basic Gnome.
Hermann