Re: [orca-list] installing gnome and orca on debian lenny

I installed Debian Lenny last October and first did as you did; I use speakup all the time while in the console. I later installed the entire Gnome package (which includes orca) with aptitude. The only little hitch I ran into is when the system booted, run level 3 was hooked to run gdm-login. So I went in and changed the default run level to 2 by editting inittab and now when I want to run gnome, I do 'startx' from the console under my local user account. the first time, I did not have any speech but I manually started orca by pressing alt-f2 and typing 'orca'. Next thing I got speech and changed it to the speech synth I wanted. Orca's been taling ever since.

Thanks herman for suggesting Michael's grml write-up; that might offer some good hints for any future Debian installation efforts.