[orca-list] speech not interrupting as I type

Hi all,

I am using gnome-speech 0.4.21, espeak 1.39, and portaudio 19, and speech does not interrupt as I type, and pressing ctrl does not result in speech being silenced. This results in my system coming to a stand-still while waiting for speech if I type more than a few keys. Does anyone know what could be going on? I have a vague recollection of this perhaps being discussed on the list a while ago, but I'm not certain. I am able to silence speech in other contexts.

Thanks,
-Mike G-