[orca-list] OT, Installing Ubuntu- partition questions

Hi All,
Please excuse the off-topic questions, but I don't want to join a Ubuntu
list for just a couple of questions.
I have done a little research on the web already, but I thought I'd get some
opinions here.

I have a 320 GB drive on my laptop.
I have XP on the first 165 GB.
This leaves room for about 145 GB for Ubuntu.
I give that value because I want to make 2 partitions of about 5 GB for both
operating systems to access.
I thought I'd use 5 GB for swap, maybe a bit excessive, and 5 GB for
experimenting with a UDF file system, thus leaving about 145 GB.
Oh yeah, then I thought I'd make a partition of around 40 GB for a common
download & storage area for both operating systems.
On all the above, I would welcome some suggestions.
So then if I am looking at around 100 GB or so for Ubuntu, what is the best
way to partition the 100 or so GB?
Do I need to give the bulk of it to the directories, var & user?
This is Ubuntu 8.1.
Also, I did have a dual-boot system with Ubuntu 7 on this computer before my
XP took a dive, and I just bought another drive, and slapped the old drive
into a USB drive case for storage, so I know that all should be fine with
Ubuntu & grub, and I have booted to the 8.1 CD, so all seems well so far.

Glenn

Database version: 5.11760