From: orca-list-bounces gnome org [mailto:orca-list-bounces gnome org] On
Behalf Of Steve Holmes
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2009 8:23 AM
To: Orca E-mail List
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Begin PGP-signed message?

What you're asking about is a PGP signature.  We like to "Sign" our e-mails
as being unchanged after we sent it.  It kind of proves that we sent the
mail and it wasn't tempered with by anyone else.  If you have PGP aware
tools, you can verify that signature by using our public key.

Mutt is one such mail program that integrates PGP nicely.  I think
Thunderbird has similar stuff built in but haven't tried it yet.  I'm not on
a Windows box at work running Thunderbird there so I can't sign this message
for example.  But I always do at home because I use mutt there from my text
console or from gnome-terminal.

Tj wrote:
Hello,

I just have to ask, and i know this is horriblyoff topic, however,
here goes anyhow.  I've noticed people writing emails that would ave:
"Begin PGP signed message" and "Begin PGP signature" at the top and
bottom of their emails respectively.  I've done some research and know
what it means, however, I'm curious as to which email clients do that?

I've never seen something like that before I delved a little bit into
the unix community.

Tj Squires