Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 9:10 PM
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Setting up a Keypress to launch Orca

I have found an answer.  It's not very hard to do actually.
For anyone else interested, here's how to get it up and running with ctrl+alt+o
In terminal:
sudo apt-get install xbindkeys
Once it has installed, type:
xbindkeys --default > /home/username/.xbindkeysrc
replace username with your home folder name, in my case it was
/home/stormdragon/.xbindkeysrc
Then, in your home folder, type:
gedit .xbindkeysrc
If you aren't sure if you are in your home directory you can quickly get there by typing:
cd
Once you have the .xbindkeysrc file opened in gedit, scroll down to the bottom of the file.  There are 3 lines at the bottom there 34 # characters followed by something like #end configuration and 34 more # characters.
Just above these three lines, typ in the following 2 lines:
"orca"
control+alt + o
Notice the quotes around the word orca and the space at the end of alt then the plus and another space and o
Hopefully one day Gnome will build in a keyboard shortcut, but for now this is a quick and easy fix.  The last step, once you have saved and closed gedit is to typ:
xbindkeys
This starts the xbindkeys daemon.
HTH
Storm
PS  There is a gui for xbindkeys.  It is called xbindkeys-config.  It is not accessible with Orca however.