From: orca-list-bounces gnome org [mailto:orca-list-bounces gnome org] On
Behalf Of Steve Holmes
Sent: 23 August 2009 22:17
To: orca-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Copy, Cut and Paste feedback Orca feature request

Given how you just described this feature, I will would still contend it to
be a bad idea.  Let me give you one verry good reason.  What if by chance,
the particular keys in question are not assigned to cut/paste/copy or if
that particular didn't support cut/paste operations? One example is the
gnome-terminal.  it uses shift-control-v to paste and I think
shift-control-c to copy... Whenever I'm un sure,  I look in the edit menu to
find it.  I also don't feel it is the screen reader's responsibility to
support cut/paste/copy directly either.  Speech annotation is nice when an
operation is performed but even the Windows screen readers don't actually
speak when the operation was a success; they just speak because the key was
pressed.  That is no guarentee that you really cut/copied the text at all.

Now one exception  here is with Speakup on the text console; it has a
copy/paste feature that allows one to copy text from one console to another
or or simply from one point in time to another.  That comes in extremely
handy as there isn't any other simply way for a blind person to copy/paste
text in a text console without having to use GPM and a mouse.  I'm not
personally aware of any other way to do it in a linux native console.  As a
side note, that xclip package is a really cool way to copy text between
native consoles and gnome applications.