Re: [orca-list] [Fwd: Re: [g-a-devel] Speech-dispatcher/orca integration specification, first draft.]

Hi
You'd be able to set a per-client and per-user output if you set
speech-dispatcher to go through Pulseaudio. This is already supported,
though SD's Pulse code needs some reworking to optimize its speed. The
Unix domain sockets wouldn't fix this, all this would do is eliminate
the requirement for sd to communicate over TCP locally, meaning it would
be a bit faster and would not go down if the networking subsystem dies.
As far as I know, Pulseaudio would be the only way to handle the
per-client audio streams as things stand now, though in theory support
for doing this via ALSA alone could be coded into sd directly. Given
that Pulse seems to be the way forward though, and we can already choose
the output stream on a per-user basis, it might be a good idea to
concentrate on what is already there.